Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blocking

I just eked out the front pieces with just enough yarn leftover to sew up the seams! Pieces are washed and blocked and I put them outside to dry since it's such a nice day. Although the pieces don't really need stretched, blocking is helpful to make all the stitches look nice and make sure it all lies flat. It probably makes it easier to sew up too. I must admit that when I started out I never blocked anything. It's tedious and time consuming, but it does make everything look nice.

Since this is a slightly lacy pattern and I did it on larger needles (even though the yarn was held double) I did have some stretchiness while I was pinning it out. It's likely that I could have stretched it to a larger size, but whether that would hold after blocking, I really don't know. I didn't want to stretch it (although it did, width-wise, by about an inch) I just wanted it to lay flat and make the edges scallop nicely.

Pattern is still just rough notes, not sure if it'll make any sense to anyone but me, but I will work at typing them up.

No comments: