Monday, April 4, 2011

I love finding new techinques

I love this Radiating Star pattern, it's got just enough design elements to not totally bore me, but not so many that I can't read something on the Macbook. Plus in chunky weight yarn it's a fast project.

I made two very minor modifications: I didn't like how huge the centre hole was when I just cast on 8 stitches and started in, so I tried knitting 8 stitches in 1 stitch and tightening it up, that didn't look nice in chunky weight yarn. I settled on casting on 8 stitches and knitting one round, then starting the pattern. Also, I didn't much care for SKP: slip 1, knit 1, pass the slipped stitch over. Don't like how it looks, don't like doing that procedure. So I changed it to SSK, which I do as: slip 1 as if to knit, slip 1 as if to purl, put the left needle through the front and knit both stitches.

I do that last procedure a lot for left leaning decreases, but I notice that on socks it tends to show when I'm wearing them. bluh.

I read a discussion on Ravelry about this problem and it led to many links and descriptions of how to manage it. I like Techknitter's technique best.

However, I'm about halfway through this project right now, so changing now would annoy me. It's unlikely that the recipient would notice without me pointing it out, but I'd know it's there. :)

But now it makes me want to rip it out and start over! I (probably) won't do that, but I will use it for the other sock whenever I get around to starting it and then get to the gusset decreases.

No comments: