Monday, May 2, 2011

It's done...

...but I'm not entirely thrilled with it.

The neck line is a bit too wide. I think it's because the front pieces aren't quite wide enough. The back pieces fit pretty good except I don't like the extra garter stitch rows I did, they look a bit odd in the centre because they are too thick and not wavy like the rest of the pattern.

I quite like the sleeves and they could be made longer if there's enough yarn left.

Possible fixes: Do one less pattern repeat in width (which would actually make it shorter) and do one extra pattern row section on the front pieces. Which would mean doing only one I-cord pattern row section on each back piece at the neckline.

Also, it's possible I didn't really have to double the yarn - I may have gotten just as nice an effect by using a single strand and used a size 7 needle. hmmm.

I think it's a pattern worth tweaking, but maybe do it in cotton. It's be quite nice in the Haze yarn, but that's set aside for the Starflower shrug thingy.

Notes on that: I toyed with the idea of front pieces, but have decided that I really prefer it as a large shrug thing. But the sleeves need modifications, definitely, as does the neckline. And I don't really think I need flappy bits all the way around. So, that project may be next! But unfinished projects are mocking me! The green BHM yarn is sitting there, petulant and unloved. I may just rip it out and start in on a clapotis. Or possibly the Seafoam pattern, only wider. I do think my stitch is interesting, but I'm not convinced it'd be good in a wide shawl. Maybe the coin lace clapotis? Also, that second Sausalito sock is just lurking there. I did do a few rows whilst watching Doctor Who. Maybe I'll take it on the bus trip. Also also, the star blanket! I really liked the radiating star pattern, this one, not so much. probably because of colour changes and there really isn't much of a pattern to keep me entertained. I'll get back to it soon! I think because I know there isn't an immediate deadline I know I can put it on hold while these other patterns obsess me. :)

Pictures soonish.

No comments: