Sunday, May 8, 2011

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival

Oh my! There was just far too much to really look at yesterday. I wish that I had had a sweater in mind for some of the lovely worsted or DK weight yarns that I saw, I'm sure I could have gotten a great deal on it, but I didn't have a clue of what I could do with some of those yarn. Or if I do have a clue (like the kimono thingy I'm working on) I can only guess that I would buy enough to make it. And what if I didn't? And so projects like that I feel much more comfortable shopping for yarn at my local yarn shop (plus, Glenda is all kinds of awesome!)

So mostly I just wandered around and gawked. And there was so much to look at! And for the most part the vendors were very nice, asking how you were and chuckling when I said 'Overwhelmed!' And the tents and stalls were very crowded, but generally we all managed to look at the stuff we wanted to see by all being polite and saying 'excuse me, can I get through?' to anyone in our way of the pretty yarn. Except for one tent. I assumed the line was for people buying stuff from that tent and so tried to walk into the only open flap of the dark little tent only to be stopped by a woman with a clipboard (she was tiny, but physically moved to block me coming into the tent) saying 'In an effort to keep the crowding controlled you MUST go stand in line!' And she was just so very rude about it that I didn't even bother waiting in line to see what treasures she must have been hiding, because my brief glimpse inside that dark tent didn't seem interesting enough to wait in line to see.

I was very tempted by some Handmaiden Sea Sock. And some yarn by Dragonfly Yarns. But it was so difficult to decide on colours and so I will likely peruse those on the net at my leisure. I squished some skeins though.

I ended up buying some yarn from Sanguine Gryphon - in part because of the pageantry of the whole setup. :) I love their website and the Renn Faire ambiance of it all. I also bought a skein from Silver Spring Looms, it's purple and green and shiny. I don't know what to do with either skein, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

It was a long and tiring day, but we had gorgeous weather! Sun and blue sky with a few clouds, warm enough to be nice, but not so hot that I felt uncomfortable in my sweater (although the bus was too hot for it) And I hope we go again next year!

I forgot the camera, so no pics of my new jacket thingy, but a great many people saw it and liked it and that made me feel really good. I am working on a pattern. Well, I'm writing down what I'm doing, which I hope will become a pattern of sorts. I'm basically OK at making something for myself, it's making size changes that daunts me. But I think I keep jumping the gun on that and not just finishing the directions for a size that fits me, putting out those directions, and only then working on pattern sizing.

Anyway, I have two patterns to work on and I'm going to apply that method: Just writing down what I'm doing and not fretting about how it doesn't look like a pattern.

No comments: