Sunday, May 29, 2011

design elements

The blue hat was finished last week. I know it's bragging, but it's really cute. :) A friend of mine is test knitting it for me. Some other friends will model it for me on our NYC trip. I have awesome friends!

I'm working on yet another hat. I think I'm obsessed! I love cloche and bucket style hats, they just don't look good on me. I have the wrong face or head or hair... But I think I've managed to actually write a proper pattern, even though it's only one size. I don't really know if I should work the patterns in more than one size or just figure it's a cloche hat, and generalise.

I also found out that I don't really like SSK. Even when I do it as slip one knitwise, slip one purlwise. It just doesn't lay right. For Nom-Nom's blankie I tried TechKnitter's SYTK method and quite liked the results, at least in chunky yarn on big needles. But I didn't care for it on this hat. Which is smaller needles, tighter stitches and the yarn held double. And so I'm trying K2togtbl. I like how it looks, although it's fiddly to maneuver.

I want it to slant off to the left, even though the angle is wrong. And my SSK stitches are just sloppy looking.

So. Yet another hat! And I have some more design ideas lurking in my head. Not sure if any of them are worthwhile, but I'll try to knit them. :)

No comments: