Wednesday, August 10, 2011

links I like

Last night I tried to explain to someone at the yarn shop how to pick up the purl bumps on a heel gusset and I totally failed. I know it was a video and I know I found it on a thread on Ravelry and I know the guy who did it was Australian, but I haven't a clue how to google for it.

And I generally use facebook or google+ to jot down notes as I'm designing things. But those posts can get lost on the shuffle and although many of my friends find my enthusiasm for knitting interesting and fun to read, I sometimes feel like I'm spamming them with crap they don't want to read.

So, I'm going to utlise this blog to store my knitting ideas and inspirations and whenever I find a web or video tutorial that I think it's helpful I'm going to link to it here.

Like this one: German short rows

I thought I had settled on using Japanese short rows (from nonaKnits) and I did like the way they looked but the pins are fiddly. The German short rows don't use pins and it looks pretty good.

Now I have to figure out how to write out what I'm doing. I can't just put that in the pattern, Now use German short rows to work the sleeves, go look at this video. I suppose I can mention where I found it - I did that for the hat pattern and my directions were merely 'for best results use a provisional cast on, I liked this one' But provisional cast ons are pretty basic, in my opinion. And people can trawl Ravelry or the internet to find out how to do them. And the hat didn't absolutely need a provisional cast on, it just gave slightly better results, in my opinion. But this sleeve *needs* short rows to accomplish this wonky angle.

I may need to take pictures for the pattern. I definitely need to write out some sort of instructions. Which won't be easy to do without practically plagiarising other websites - I mean, I'm getting this information off the internet! But I'm planning on selling this pattern, so how can I justify using someone else's information? Well, partially because I'm not getting info from just one source, I google a lot. And partially because my pattern will be the design as a whole.

And frankly I'm not so sure that selling patterns is the way to go for me. It's not going to make me enough money to justify having that stupid tax license, so, should I even bother keeping my patterns for sale?

Anyway. The point of this post was Links I Like, so I'll leave it at that :)

No comments: