Friday, November 24, 2006

dyeing for a cuppa tea














It all started with Lionbrand's Bolero - lurv the colours, hate the yarn. It's thick and thin and I hate that - makes it seem like they didn't spin the yarn properly and although it works up fast on huge needles, there's not really much yardage to the skein. So, I decided to experiment with some Paton's Classic Merino and tea and cocoa.

I googled some info on hand painting wool, mostly got info on kool aid dyeing - but I'm not interested in bright colours, at least not right now, I wanted natural browns. So I decided on tea and cocoa.

I'm quite happy with the way the tea turned out, the cocoa, less so. Coffee is the next experiment anf then perhaps wine or curry powder or paprika... The above project will be a felted purse.

No comments: