Sunday, July 15, 2007

Adventures in dyeing

I was going to use Procion dyes, but they are rather expensive. Then I found Dylon dyes at Walmart and they were much cheaper. Especially since I wanted primary and secondary colours. Procion does have brown dyes and I might just splurge for those, for another project in the future.

Dyeing is messy, certainly, but if you have everything set out and ready to go it makes the job much easier.


I used a foam dauber thingy to paint the yarn. I did it outside and the hose was nearby. I probably mixed in far more powdered dye than I needed, but I didn't measure it out - I just guessed at half the packet. If I had used the whole packet I could have dyed about 20 skeins of this yarn.



That's the final product after washing out the excess dye. The white-ish bits are because the yarn is half acrylic and that didn't take dye. I rather like the effect though.

I like the Dylon dyes (so far, I don't know how well it will hold up to washings) and would consider using them again, especially if I find cotton t-shirts that fit me, but come in nasty colours. I do wish they had brown dye though.

No comments: